Prelims Syllabus : Governance- Institutional Reforms Mains Syllabus : GS-II- Statutory, regulatory and various quasi-judicial bodies. GS-II- Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation.
Why in News?
- The Finance Ministry has approved a proposal to streamline recruitment of some posts in the government along with various equivalent recruitment in public sector banks.
- A new National Recruitment Agency (NRA) will be set up to conduct the Common Eligibility Test (CET) for all these competitive examinations, in which an estimated 2.5 crore candidates appear annually.
National Recruitment Agency (NRA):
- The proposed NRA will conduct preliminary examinations for all these recruitment, which are at present conducted by the Staff Selection Commission (SSC) and the Institute of Banking Personnel Selection (IBPS).
- As per the proposal, the NRA will subsequently forward the list of qualifying candidates to the respective recruiting agencies to conduct the mains examinations.
- The SSC and IBPS, it is learnt, will not be disbanded for now and will conduct the mains examinations as usual.
- The basic idea behind this proposal is to shortlist qualifying candidates through a Common Eligibility Test before sending them for the mains examination.
Need for a New Agency:
- The proposal for a new agency is meant to streamline recruitment process on subordinate-rank posts in the government.
- The proposed NRA is expected to reduce the burden of SSC and the IBPS, among others, from holding preliminary recruitment exams, which is an extensive exercise.
- Once up and running, NRA will work as a preliminary single-window agency to shortlist qualifying candidates from bulk of applicants and forward the list to SSC, IBPS, etc, to hold the mains.
- According to an estimate, more than 2.5 crore candidates sit for these prelims, most of them conducted by SSC.
- Recruitment conducted at present through the SSC and proposed to go to the new agency include the Combined Graduate Level (CGL) examination to enter government departments.
- Similarly in line with CGL, recruitment tests for clerical-level recruitment in public sector banks are proposed to go to the NRA.
- The proposed agency, however, will not be in charge of recruitment of Probationary Officers (PO) in banks.