Prelims Syllabus : Governance- Schemes, Policies Mains Syllabus : GS-II- Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation.
Why in News?
- The President of India presented the National Service Scheme Awards at New Delhi on 24th September.
National Service Scheme:
- The National Service Scheme (NSS) is a Central Sector Scheme of the Government of India, under the Ministry of Youth Affairs & Sports.
- It gives opportunities to school students of classes XI and XII, and university/college students to take part in various government led community service activities and programmes.
- The chief Objective of the NSS is to offer students and young people a first-hand experience in delivering service to the community.
- It was started in the year 1969. Currently, there are 3.8 million student volunteers in this scheme. Motto of NSS: “Not Me But You”
- All volunteers wear the NSS badge which is a symbol of pride and honour for them. The badge signifies that they are ready for service round the clock.
- The benefits that students get from being a part of this scheme are:
- They can get skills to become accomplished social leaders in the future
- They get experience which will help them become efficient administrators
- It will help them understand human nature better
- It will also help them understand the rich cultural diversity of India
- It will help them have national pride through a better knowledge of the country
- NSS organises camps, parades, youth festivals, etc. as part of its activities.