NATURAL PRODUCT BASED ALZHEIMER INHIBITOR
01, May 2020
Prelims level : Science & Technology Mains level : GS-III Science & Technology - Awareness in the Fields of IT, Space, Computers, Robotics, Nano-Technology, Bio-Technology
Why in News?
- Scientists from Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research (JNCASR), an autonomous institute under the Department of Science & Technology have developed a natural product based Alzheimer inhibitor.
- The scientists have modified the structure of Berberine, a natural and cheap product similar to curcumin, available commercially, into Ber-D to use as a Alzheimer’s inhibitor.
- They selected isoquinoline natural product berberine found in India and China and used in traditional medicine and other applications.
- However, berberine is poorly soluble and toxic to cells.
- So they modified berberine to Ber-D, which is a soluble (aqueous), antioxidant.
- They found it to be a multifunctional inhibitor of multifaceted amyloid toxicity of Alzheimer’s disease.The multifunctional attributes make Ber-D a promising candidate for developing effective therapeutics to treat multifaceted toxicity of Alzheimer’s disease.
- Alzheimer’s disease is an irreversible and progressive brain disorder that slowly destroys memory, thinking ability and the capability to carry out simple tasks.
- Alzheimer’s disease is the most common cause of dementia (a continuous decline in thinking, behavioral and social skills).
- In most people with Alzheimer’s, symptoms first appear in their mid-60s.
Assumed Factors Causing Disease:
- A genetic mutation,
- Abnormal build-up of proteins in and around brain cells,
- Head Injuries, Cardiovascular disease and Down’s syndrome,
- Other factors are hearing loss, social isolation, a sedentary lifestyle, untreated depression etc.