Nayib Bukele is elected as the new president of El Salvador
05, Jun 2019
Prelims level : Mains level :
- Nayib Bukele is elected as the new president of El Salvador.
- The 37 -year-old former mayor of San Salvador, who won more votes than all other candidates in the February presidential election, brought an end to a two-party system that has held sway over the country for three decades.
- He pledged to cure the Central American country that he described as a “sick child” following years of violence and migration that has strained relations with the United States.
About Nayib Bukele:
- Bukele was born on July 24, 1981, in San Salvador. The former mayor of El Salvador’s capital Bukele made his political debut in 2012 as a small-town mayor with the now-ruling FMLN (Farabundo Marti National Liberation Front). In 2017, Bukele was expelled from FMLN for “disrespecting” the rights of women.
- His presidency breaks three decades of bipartisanship between the conservative Nationalist Republican Alliance (ARENA) and the outgoing Farabundo Marti National Liberation Front (FMLN).