Prelims Syllabus : International Relations Mains Syllabus : GS-II Effect of policies and politics of developed and developing countries on India’s interests, Indian Diaspora.
Why in News?
- China and Nepal concluded agreements for all-weather connectivity between Kathmandu and the Tibet Autonomous Region.
- The infrastructure-building agreements were part of the 20 documents that were signed after delegation-level talks held by visiting Chinese President Xi Jinping and Nepalese Prime Minister K.P. Sharma Oli.
- An agreement for the upgraded all-weather road connection that includes building of Himalayan tunnels was reached between the Ministry of Finance of Nepal and the China International Development Cooperation Agency.
- The current road network is unsafe as it is prone to disruption due to landslips and poor maintenance.
- The joint statement declared that both sides would intensify cooperation to realise “trans-Himalayan multidimensional connectivity network”.
- The tunnel network will connect Tokha and Chhahare within Nepal that will ultimately reduce the road distance between Nepal and China.
- Nepal agreed to allow Chinese banks to open branches and other financial services in Nepal and increase imports from China.
- Nepal also signed a treaty with China on mutual legal assistance in criminal matters which will allow China to investigate cases of crime that might target Nepal.
- Nepal reiterated its “firm commitment” to the One China policy.
- Under the agreements, China will offer 100 training opportunities to the Nepalese law enforcement officers each year, increase exchange of visits of security personnel, joint exercises and training of personnel for disaster relief and prevention.
- China has agreed to build the Madan Bhandari University for Science and Technology as a mark of respect for the late leader of the Communist Party of Nepal.
- It also committed to build a railway line connecting Kathmandu and Pokhara with the birthplace of Lord Buddha at Lumbini.