NEW SPECIES OF WASP IDENTIFIED IN GOA
30, May 2019
Prelims level : Environment Mains level : GS-III Technology, Economic Development and Environment
Why in News:
- A new species of wasp from the genus Kudakrumia has been recently identified by scientists in Goa.
- The wasp, Kudakrumia rangnekari, was named after Goa-based researcher Parag Rangnekar. In India, the wasp is found in Goa and Kerala and outside the country it is also found in neighbouring Sri Lanka.
- paratype is from Ranipuram hill of Kerala of southern Western Ghats.
- The types of the new species and specimens of known species are deposited in the ‘National Zoological Collections’ of the Western Ghat Regional Centre of Zoological Survey of India located at Kozhikode.
- Parag Ragnekar is the author of a book “Butterflies of Goa”, which is first field guide with photographs of the species found in this region.
- He is the founder-president of the Goa Bird Conservation Network, has now taken up the documentation of the dragonflies in the State.