New species of wasp Kudak Lumia Rangnekar identified in Goa
03, Jun 2019
Prelims level : Mains level :
- A new species of wasp from the genus Kudakrumia identified by scientists in Goa. It has been named as Kudakrumia Rangnekari after Goa-based researcher Parag Rangnekar.
- Wasp is a member of a group of insects in the order Hymenoptera, suborder Apocrita. It is neither an ant nor a bee.
- They are found in Goa and Kerala in India and Sri Lanka, outside India.
- The holotype was collected from the forests of Northen Western Ghats from Kotigao Wildlife sanctuary.
- The paratype(specimen) was collected from Ranipuram hill of Kerala, Southern Western Ghats.
- Parag Rangnekar is the founder-president of the Goa Bird Conservation Network.
- Parag Rangnekar is written a book named “Butterflies of Goa” which is first field guide with photographs of the species found in the region.