Prelims Syllabus : Governance, Health Issue Mains Syllabus : GS-II- Issues relating to development and management of Social Sector or Services relating to Health, Education, Human Resources.
Why in News?
- A day-long NHRC National Level Review Meeting on Mental Health concluded at India International centre, New Delhi, highlighting several issues to bridge the gap between the legislation and its implementation.
- It was necessary to evaluate the ground realities post-implementation of Mental Healthcare Act, 2017.
Mental Healthcare Act, 2017.:
- This ensures every person shall have a right to access mental health care and treatment from mental health services run or funded by the appropriate government.
- The act assures free treatment for such persons if they are homeless or belong to Below Poverty Line, even if they do not possess a BPL card.
- Every person with mental illness shall have a right to live with dignity and there shall be no discrimination on any basis including gender, sex, sexual orientation, religion, culture, caste, social or political beliefs, class or disability.
- A person with mental illness shall have the right to confidentiality in respect of his mental health, mental healthcare, treatment and physical healthcare.
- A person who attempts suicide shall be presumed to be suffering from mental illness at that time and will not be punished under the Indian Penal Code.
- The government shall have a duty to provide care, treatment and rehabilitation to a person, having severe stress and who attempted to commit suicide, to reduce the risk of recurrence of attempt to commit suicide.