Nigeria’s envoy to UN elected President of 74th session of UNGA
05, Jun 2019
Prelims level : Mains level :
- Nigeria’s Ambassador to the United Nations Tijjani Muhammad-Bande was elected as President of the 74th session of the UN General Assembly.
- The 193-member UNGA elected Muhammad-Bande, who had been nominated by Nigeria and endorsed by the African group, at the election by acclamation.
- In accordance with the rules, the President of the 74th session of the General Assembly should be elected from among the African States.
- Muhammad-Bande was elected by acclamation and he will succeed Maria Fernanda Espinosa as the President of the next General Assembly session that will commence in September.
- He assumes charge as the world body gets ready to celebrate the 75th anniversary of its creation next year.