NORTH KOREA SAYS KIM OVERSAW TESTING OF MULTIPLE ROCKET LAUNCHERS
06, May 2019
Prelims level : International Mains level : Governance, Constitution, Polity, Social Justice and International relations
Why in News:
- North Korea conducted a “strike drill” for multiple launchers, firing tactical guided weapons into the East Sea in a military drill.
- North Korea has conducted a “strike drill” for multiple launchers, firing tactical guided weapons into the East Sea in a military drill supervised by leader Kim Jong Un , the North’s state media reported.
- The purpose of the drill was to test performance of “large-caliber long-range multiple rocket launchers and tactical guided weapons by defense units
- While such a missile launch would be in violation of UN Security Council Resolutions, at least it would not involve long-range ballistic missiles that have been seen as a threat to the United States.
- The new, solid fuel ballistic missiles can fly as far as 500 kilometers (311 miles), putting the entire Korean Peninsula within its range and are capable of neutralizing the advanced U.S. anti-missile defense system (THAAD) deployed in South Korea
- North Korean leader Kim stressed the need to “increase the combat ability so as to defend the political sovereignty and economic self-sustenance”
- North Korea had maintained a freeze in nuclear and ballistic missiles testing in place since 2017, which
- U.S. President Donald Trump has repeatedly pointed out as an important achievement from his engagement with Pyongyang.
- With North Korea never promising to completely stop all missile testing — it only promised a self-
- imposed moratorium of testing long-range missiles such as ICBMs that can hit the U.S. homeland.
- The United Nations Security Council (UNSC) is one of the six principal organs of the United Nations and is charged with the maintenance of international peace and security.
- Its powers include the establishment of peacekeeping operations, the establishment of international sanctions, and the authorization of military action through Security Council resolutions; it is the only UN body with the authority to issue binding resolutions to member states. The Security Council consists of fifteen members. Russia, the United Kingdom, France, China, and the United States—serve as the body’s five permanent members.
- The Security Council also has 10 non-permanent members, elected on a regional basis to serve two-year terms. The body’s presidency rotates monthly among its members
Why India should be added?
- After 2008 financial meltdown, India had been a member of G 20 to help the world tide over a difficult situation
- IAEA and NSG considers India as ‘a state with advanced nuclear technology’ and sanctified India as a responsible member of the nuclear community.
- However, India needs to dispel popular perception the India feels comfortable in its role as ‘a recessed power