Prelims Syllabus : Governance - Social Issues Mains Syllabus : GS-II Welfare schemes for Vulnerable Sections of the population by the Centre and States and the performance of These Schemes
- The Odisha Government has won the World Habitat Award, a global recognition, for its ambitious initiative, Jaga Mission under which 52,682 urban poor families living in the slums have been granted land rights certificate.
About World Habitat Award:
- This award is given by World Habitat, a UK-based organisation, in partnership with UN-Habitat, every year, in recognition of innovative, outstanding, and revolutionary ideas, projects, and programmes from across the world.
About Jaga Mission:
- Jaga Mission is acclaimed as the World’s largest slum land titling project, benefiting a million urban poor living in the slums, with promises to provide “self-respect and freedom from the perpetual fear of eviction”.
- The Mission is being executed in collaboration with Tata Trusts and Norman Foster Foundation. The State Government had rolled out the project, a first of its kind in the country, to give land titles to slum dwellers.
- So far, 1725 slums have been surveyed under the project using drones and GIS technology. Besides, transformation of 255 slums into liveable habitat is also under implementation.
- Adoption of state-of-art technology combined with extensive community participation has resulted in dispute and litigation-free implementation in a time bound manner.
United Nations Habitat or United Nations Human Settlements Programme:
- It is the United Nations agency for human settlements. It is mandated by the UN General Assembly to promote socially and environmentally sustainable towns and cities with the goal of providing adequate shelter for all.
- It was established in 1978 as an outcome of the first UN Conference on Human Settlements and Sustainable Urban Development (Habitat I) held in Vancouver, Canada, in 1976.
- UN-Habitat is headquartered at the United Nations Office at Nairobi, Kenya.
- It is an international not-for-profit organisation/foundation established in the United Kingdom.
- It works internationally to help bring the best housing to the people who need it the most.
India Geospatial Excellence Award:
- Recently, the project was also awarded the India Geospatial Excellence Award for technological innovation in transforming lives of urban poor.
- This award is given by GeoSmart India which is an interactive platform that demonstrates the collective and shared vision of the Indian geospatial community and is the most prominent stakeholder event of the Indian geospatial ecosystem.