Olympiad for teachers
16, Sep 2018
Prelims level : Mains level :
Why in news?
- The fourth edition of the CENTA Teaching Professionals Olympiad (TPO) 2018, a national competition to recognise and reward teachers, will be held on December 8 in 45 cities across the country.
- The TPO is an initiative of the Centre for Teacher Accreditation (CENTA), which aims at identifying outstanding teachers and teacher candidates, and also create a range of career opportunities. The multiple-choice test will be held in two international centres in Dubai and Abu Dhabi as well this year.
- TPO now has more subjects tracks and language mediums. The test is available in 20 subject tracks across different school levels from the Primary to Senior Secondary level in English medium. Teachers could take up test in four regional languages — Hindi, Marathi, Tamil and Telugu — in the Primary level.
- Besides providing a national platform for teachers to test their skills, the TPO has more than 100 cash awards varying from Rs. 5,000 to Rs. 1 lakh.
- Nearly 20,000 teachers across the country may participate this year.
- Founded in 2014, Centre for Teacher Accreditation (CENTA) works to empower teachers and catalyse their professional development through CENTA Certification and MicroCredentials, a market-driven certification of competencies rooted in high standards, which connects outstanding candidates to great opportunities in recognition, career and professional development.
- CENTA Certification, comprising of five Micro-Credentials, is based on the CENTA Standards, a well-accepted and internationally-benchmarked set of competencies for teachers. Our methodology is scientific, research-backed and fact-based, supported by an advisory board of eminent leaders