OPEC says Gulf region needs more peace and stability to ensure flow of oil supplies
12, Jun 2019
Prelims level : Mains level :
- The organisation of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) has said the Gulf region needs more peace and stability to ensure the flow of oil supplies. Any tension that occurs in the region affects the whole world.
- UAE-based Brooge Petroleum and Gas Investment yesterday unveiled a plan to build the refinery to produce IMO 2020-compliant bunker fuel in Fujairah, scheduled for completion by the first quarter of 2020.
- From 1st January 2020, IMO will enforce its Marpol Annex VI regulation mandating all ocean-going vessels to burn bunker fuels with a maximum sulphur content of 0.5%, down from the current limit of 3.5%.
- The refinery will be the first of its kind in the Middle East and North Africa to comply with the upcoming IMO 2020 regulation.
- The International Maritime Organisation (IMO) has ruled that from 1st January 2020, marine sector emissions in international waters be slashed to 0.5%. IMO 2020 regulations will see the largest reduction in the sulphur content of a transportation fuel undertaken at one time.