P-8I aircraft and Sea Dragon 23 Exercise
18, Mar 2023
Prelims level : International Relations Mains level : GS-III Internal Security; Various Security forces and agencies and their mandate
Why in News?
- The Indian Navy has deployed P-8I aircraft in the third edition of the coordinated multilateral Anti-Submarine Warfare (ASW) exercise conducted by the U.S. Navy in Guam.
- The P-8I aircraft is an anti-submarine warfare aircraft.
- The aircraft is designed for undertaking long-range anti-submarine warfare (ASW), anti-surface warfare (ASuW), and intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance (ISR) missions. Thus the P-8I is also regarded as a multi-mission maritime patrol aircraft.
- The P-8 aircraft are designed and manufactured by the US-based Boeing Company.
- It is one of Boeing’s most advanced aircraft.
- The P-8 aircraft has two variants, namely:
- The P-8I: Manufactured for the Indian Navy
- The P-8A Poseidon: Deployed by the US Navy, the UK’s Royal Air Force, the Royal Australian Air Force, and the Royal Norwegian Air Force.
- The P-8I aircraft has the ability to fly at an altitude of about 41,000 feet and has a short transit time.
- P-8I is a dual-engine aircraft and has a top speed of 490 knots (789 km/hour) along with a range of over 1,200+ nautical miles (2,222 km).
- In 2009, India placed an order for eight P-8I aircraft and the first of these aircraft was inducted in 2013 making India the first country outside the US to get one.
Sea Dragon 23 Exercise:
- Exercise Sea Dragon 23 is the third edition of the coordinated multilateral Anti-Submarine Warfare (ASW) exercise conducted by the US Navy.
- The Sea Dragon is an annual, multinational high-end exercise hosted by the US Navy.
- The Ex Sea Dragon 23 would test the capabilities of the aircraft in tracking simulated and live underwater targets.
- Other than P-8I of the Indian Navy, aircraft such as P8A of the US Navy, P1 of the Japanese Maritime Self Defence Force, CP 140 from the Royal Canadian Air Force and P3C from the Republic of Korean Navy will also take part in the exercise.