12, Aug 2018
Prelims level : Schemes Mains level :
- Sikkim’s newly-constructed airport, the Himalayan state’s first, will be inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 23 September.
- Pakyong Airport is a Greenfield airport near Gangtok, the state capital of Sikkim, India. Prior to the construction of Pakyong Airport, Sikkim had been the sole state in India possessing no functional airport.
- At 4500 ft, Pakyong Airport is one of the five highest airports in It is also the first greenfield airport to be constructed in the North-eastern Region of India, the 100th operational airport in India, and the only airport in the state of Sikkim.
- As Pakyong Airport sits approximately 60 km from the India-China border, it is considered strategically important.
- Doklam pass was recent standoff between India -china was happened is 54 km from this airport It has been reported that the Indian Air Force (IAF) would have the ability to land certain military aircraft at the site, if necessary.
- As a result, the ministries of home affairs and civil aviation are disputing which should be in charge of securing the airport. The airport will boost Sikkim’s economy by making the state more accessible for tourists. Currently, tourists headed for Gangtok by air have to fly to Bagdogra and travel for more than four hours (128 km) by road to reach the city.