For the first time, the Indian Air Force will be participating in Exercise Pitch Black 2018 (PB-18), a three-week multinational drill scheduled from 24 July in Australia.
- The Exercise Pitch Black which was first started in the year 1981 for different RAAF units, takes place every two years in the Australian continent.
- The last exercise in 2016, was attended by France, Indonesia, New Zealand, Thailand, Canada, Germany, Netherlands, Singapore, and the United States.
- Singapore was the first nation to be included in the exercise in the year 1990 following with the Australian administration opened the exercise to other countries too Background:
- Through the exercise the countries aim to practice OCA and DCA, more commonly known as the offensive and defensive counter air combat.
- The exercise takes place in New South Wales’ Glenbrook region, at the Australian Air Force base in a simulated environment.
- The other joint exercise between India and Australia which includes the AUSINDEX from 2015.