Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi (PM-KISAN)
19, Jun 2019
Prelims level : Governance Mains level : GS-II: Governance, Constitution, Polity, Social Justice and International relations
- With a view to Augment the Income of the Small and Marginal Farmers (SMFs), the Government has launched a new Central Sector Scheme, namely, “Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi (PM-KISAN)” in the current financial year.
- The PM-KISAN scheme aims to supplement the financial needs of the SMFs in Procuring Various Inputs to ensure proper Crop Health and appropriate yields, commensurate with the anticipated farm income at the end of each crop cycle.
- This would also Protect them from Falling in The Clutches of Moneylenders for meeting such expenses and ensure their continuance in the farming activities
Definition of Families:
- The SMFs landholder farmer family is defined as “a family comprising of husband, wife and minor children who collectively own cultivable land upto 2 hectare as per land records of the concerned State/UT”
- Financial year 2018-19, a budget provision of Rs. 20,000 crores has been kept.
Benefit to Eligible SMFs:
- Under the Scheme, a Direct Payment of Rs. 6000 per year will be transferred in three equal instalments of Rs. 2000 Every Four Months into the Aadhar ceded bank accounts of eligible landholding SMFs families.
Monitoring of the Scheme:
- For effective review and monitoring of the scheme, a Project Monitoring Unit (PMU) at Central level will be set up in DAC & FW.