Prelim Snippets 07-09-2019
Context: The annual Joint India, Sri Lanka maritime fleet exercise – SLINEX 2019 is scheduled to be held shortly.
- SLINEX – (Sri Lanka-India Naval Exercise) are a series of naval exercises between the Indian Navy and the Sri Lanka Navy.
- SLINEX aims to promote mutual understanding and provide exposure to both the Navies to each other’s’ operating procedures, communication procedures and best practices.
2.Great Indian Bustard (GIB)
Why in News?
- Noting the high mortality rate of the Great Indian Bustard, the National Green Tribunal has directed the Centre to prepare a time-bound action plan within two months for protection of the birds.
- The great Indian bustard or Indian bustard is a bustard found on the Indian subcontinent. A large bird with a horizontal body and long bare legs, giving it an ostrich like appearance, this bird is among the heaviest of the flying birds.
- They are Listed in Schedule I of the Indian Wildlife (Protection) Act, 1972, in the CMS Convention and in Appendix I of CITES, as Critically Endangered on the IUCN Red List and the National Wildlife Action Plan (2002-2016).
- It has also been identified as one of the species for the recovery programme under the Integrated Development of Wildlife Habitats of the Ministry of Environment and Forests, Government of India.
- Once common on the dry plains of the Indian subcontinent, its population is currently confined mostly to Rajasthan and Gujarat.
3.National Green Tribunal
Why in News?
- The National Green Tribunal Bench has directed the Centre to prepare a time-bound action plan within two months for protection of the Great Indian Bustard
In 2010 under the National Green Tribunal Act 2010
Scope of Service:
- For effective and expeditious disposal of cases relating to environmental protection and conservation of forests and other natural resources including enforcement of any legal right relating to environment and giving relief and compensation for damages to persons and property and for matters connected therewith or incidental thereto.
- It is a specialized body equipped with the necessary expertise to handle environmental disputes involving multi-disciplinary issues.
Nature of Justice:
- The Tribunal shall not be bound by the procedure laid down under the Code of Civil Procedure, 1908, but shall be guided by principles of natural justice.
- The Tribunal’s dedicated jurisdiction in environmental matters shall provide speedy environmental justice and help reduce the burden of litigation in the higher courts.
Time bound Disposal:
- The Tribunal is mandated to make and endeavour for disposal of applications or appeals finally within 6 months of filing of the same.
Place of Sitting:
- Initially, the NGT is proposed to be set up at five places of sittings and will follow circuit procedure for making itself more accessible. New Delhi is the Principal Place of Sitting of the Tribunal and Bhopal, Pune, Kolkata and Chennai shall be the other four places of sitting of the Tribunal.
Why in News?
- Japanese scientists have identified a new species of dinosaur from a nearly complete skeleton that was the largest ever discovered in the country, measuring eight metres long.
- It has been named the dinosaur “Kamuysaurus japonicus,” which means “Japanese dragon god,”
About the Dinosaur:
- It has been concluded that the skeleton once belonged to a new species of hadrosaurid dinosaur, an herbivorous beast that roamed the Earth in the late Cretaceous period.
- The Cretaceous is a geologic period and system that spans from the end of the Jurassic Period 145 million years ago to the beginning of the Paleogene Period 66 mya. It is the last period of the Mesozoic Era, and the longest period of the Phanerozoic Eon.
Why in News?
- Two years after Punjab government notified a ban on kukri, several such cases are taking place daily across districts in the state’s Malwa region.
What is Kurki :
- Kurki is attachment of farmers’ land by banks or arhtiyas/sahukars/traders (commission agents and private money lenders) in the event of non-payment of loan or debt.