Prelim Snippets 13-07-2019
NATIONAL NUTRITION MISSION
- Also called, POSHAN Abhiyaan (National Nutrition Mission) is a flagship programme of the Ministry of Women and Child Development (MWCD).
- The Goals of NNM are to achieve improvement in nutritional status of:
- Children from 0-6 years,
- Adolescent Girls,
- Pregnant Women and
- Lactating Mothers in a time bound manner during the next three years beginning 2017-18.
- The Mission aims to prevent and reduce prevalence of:
- Stunting among children (0-6 years) in the country by 6%,
- Undernutrition (underweight) prevalence among children (0-6 years) by 6%,
- Prevalence of anemia among children (6-59 m) by 9%,
- Prevalence of anemia among women (15-49 years) by 9% and
- Reduction in prevalence of low birth weight by 6%.
LINE OF CONTROL (LOC)
- Line of Control (LOC) defines the boundary separating parts of Kashmir controlled by India and Pakistan,
- LOC is a demarcated border marked by the militaries.
Line of Control (LOC):
- Originally known as the Cease-fire Line, it was re-designated as the “Line of Control” following the Shimla Agreement, which was signed on 3 July 1972.
- The part of the former princely state that is under Indian control is known as Jammu and Kashmir.
- The Pakistani-controlled part is divided into Azad Jammu and Kashmir and Gilgit–Baltistan.
- The northernmost point of the Line of Control is known as NJ9842.
- Another ceasefire line separates the Indian-controlled state of Jammu and Kashmir from the Chinese-controlled area known as Aksai Chin.
- The Line of Control divided Kashmir into two parts and closed the Jhelum valley route, the only entrance and exit of the Kashmir Valley at that time.
- This territorial division, which to this day still exists, severed many villages and separated family members from each other.
INDEX OF INDUSTRIAL PRODUCTION (IIP)
- Index of Industrial Production (IIP) is an index that shows the performance of different industrial sectors of the Indian economy.
- The IIP is estimated and published on a monthly basis by the Central Statistical Organisation (CSO).
- As an all India index, it gives general level of industrial activity in the economy.
- It is a composite indicator that measures the short-term changes in the volume of production of a basket of industrial products during a given period with respect to that in a chosen base period.
- The current base year for IIP is 2011-12
- The IIP is used by public agencies including the Government agencies/ departments including that in the Ministry of Finance, the Reserve Bank of India etc. for policy purposes.
- The all-India IIP data is used for estimation of Gross Value Added of Manufacturing sector on quarterly basis.
- Following are the three sectors of the IIP as per the revision based on 2011-12 series.
INDIA, RUSSIA MEET ON SPACE COOPERATION
- India and Russia have held high-level talks in New Delhi to elevate bilateral co-operation to the next level in the field of space, including assistance in India’s maiden human space flight mission ‘Gaganyaan’.
Government Space Agencies & Related Countries:
|Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA)
|Russian Federal Space Agency (RFSA or Roscosmos)
|Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO)
|National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)
|China National Space Administration (CNSA)
- “LaQshya” (Labour room Quality improvement Initiative) to improve quality of care in labour room and maternity operation theatres in public health facilities.
- It’s a multipronged approach focused at Intrapartum and immediate postpartum period.
- Aim: To reduce preventable maternal and newborn mortality, morbidity and stillbirths associated with the care around delivery in Labour room and Maternity Operation Theatre and ensure respectful maternity care.
- To reduce maternal and newborn mortality & morbidity due to hemorrhage, retained placenta, preterm, preeclampsia and eclampsia, obstructed labour, puerperal sepsis, newborn asphyxia, and newborn sepsis, etc.
- To improve Quality of care during the delivery and immediate post-partum care, stabilization of complications and ensure timely referrals, and enable an effective two-way follow-up system.
- To enhance satisfaction of beneficiaries visiting the health facilities and provide Respectful Maternity Care (RMC) to all pregnant women attending the public health facilities.
LINE OF ACTUAL CONTROL (LAC)
- Line of Actual Control (LAC) defines boundary between India and China.
- It is not demarcated and consists of a vast empty space
Line of Actual Control (LAC):
- The Line of Actual Control (LAC) is a demarcation line that separates Indian-controlled territory from Chinese-controlled territory.
- Line of Actual Control is the effective military border which separates Indian controlled areas of Jammu and Kashmir from Aksai Chin.
- It is the effective border between People’s Republic of China and India. It is nearly 4,057 km long.
- It touches Jammu and Kashmir, Uttarakhand, Himanchal and Sikkim of Indian states.
- This border is not a legally recognized international boundary, but rather it is the practical boundary.
- The term “LAC” gained legal recognition in Sino-Indian agreements signed in 1993 and 1996.
- The 1996 agreement states, “No activities of either side shall overstep the line of actual control.
- There are two common ways in which the term “Line of Actual Control” is used.
- In the narrow sense, it refers only to the line of control in the western sector of the borderland between the two countries.
- In that sense, the LAC forms the effective border between the two countries together with the (also disputed) McMahon Line in the east, and a small undisputed section in between.
Key Differences between LOC & LAC:
|Line of Control
|Line of Actual Control
|Effective border between India and Pakistan controlled parts of kashmir
|Effective border between India Controlled and China Territory
|Pakistan calls Azad Jammu and the Northern Areas administered by Pakistan and two thirds, Jammu, Ladakh and the Kashmir Valley, Administered by India.
|It traverses three areas of Northern Indian States: Western (Ladakh Kashmir), Middle (Uttarakhand, Himachal Pradesh) and Eastern (Sikkim, Arunachal Pradesh)
|It is a live with a lot of activity, it is clearly demarcated by the Militaries
|Not Demarcated and comprises of big empty regions and nearly 50 to 100 kms distance is maintained between the two armies.
PROBE 301 BY U.S.A
What is 301 Probe:
- Section 301 of the U.S. Trade Act of 1974 authorizes the President to take all appropriate action, including retaliation, to obtain the removal of any act, policy, or practice of a foreign government that violates an international trade agreement or is unjustified, unreasonable, or discriminatory, and that burdens or restricts U.S. commerce.
India-U.S.A. Trade Issue:
- Concerns among Indian policymakers is that the Trump administration may push for a free trade agreement with India that could dent India’s competitiveness, lead to a flurry of imports and hurt India.
- U.S.A’s Stand: Trade should be a bigger part of the strategic partnership and that a free trade pact “is the ultimate example of economic integration”.
- Trade between and India and US were worth $142.1bn in 2018, with India having a surplus of $24.2bn.
//php comments_template(); ?>