Prelim Snippets 31-10-2019
1.Air Independent Propulsion System
Why in News?
- DRDO has developed the indigenous Air Independent Propulsion (AIP) System.
- The Air Independent Propulsion system enhances the submerged endurance of the submarines several times.
- AIP is a technology that allows the non-nuclear submarines to operate without access to atmospheric oxygen.
- It increases their underwater endurance and allows them to stay underwater for weeks together.Nuclear submarines constantly pump coolant generating some amount of noise. On the other hand, non-nuclear battery operated or AIP submarines are silent.
- The fuel cell air independent propulsion converts chemical energy from fuel cell into electricity through chemical reaction of positively charged hydrogen ions with oxygen or other oxidizing agent.
- Now the Indian Navy has planned to install them on all Scorpene submarines.
2.National Pension Scheme
Why in News?
- The Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority (PFRDA) have allowed overseas citizens of India (OCI) to invest in National Pension Scheme (NPS).
- National Pension System (NPS) is a government-sponsored pension scheme. It was launched in January 2004 for government employees. However, in 2009, it was opened to all sections.The scheme allows subscribers to contribute regularly in a pension account during their working life. On retirement, subscribers can withdraw a part of the corpus in a lumpsum and use the remaining corpus to buy an annuity to secure a regular income after retirement.This system is managed by PFRDA (Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority).
- Currently, any Indian between ages of 18 to 65 years may voluntarily join the NPS.
- PFRDA is a pension regulator of India. It administers and regulates National Pension System (NPS) and also administers Atal Pension Yojana (APY).
- It is a statutory authority established by PFRDA Act of Parliament, to promote, regulate and ensure orderly growth of NPS and pension schemes to which this Act applies.
Why in News?
- The Finance Minister has released commemorative coin on ParamahansaYogananda to mark his 125th Birth Anniversary.
- He was an Indian monk, yogi and guru, born in 1893 who introduced millions to the teachings of meditation and Kriya Yoga through his organization Self-Realization Fellowship (SRF) / YogodaSatsanga Society (YSS) of India.
- He is considered as the “Father of Yoga in the West.”
- He was the first major Indian teacher to settle in America, and the first prominent Indian to be hosted in the White House.
- He published his book Autobiography of a Yogiin 1946.
About Kriya Yoga:
- Kriya Yoga is “union (yoga) with the Infinite through a certain action or rite (kriya).
- The Kriya Yogi mentally directs his life energy to revolve, upward and downward, around the six spinal centers (medullary, cervical, dorsal, lumbar, sacral, and coccygeal plexuses) which correspond to the twelve astral signs of the zodiac, the symbolic Cosmic Man.
- One-half minute of revolution of energy around the sensitive spinal cord of man effects subtle progress in his evolution; that half-minute of Kriya equals one year of natural spiritual unfoldment.
4.Fridays for Future
Why in News?
- The Swedish climate activist teenager Greta Thunberg has refused to accept an environmental award.
- Fridays for Future is a movement that began in August 2018, after 15 years old Greta Thunberg sat in front of the Swedish parliament every school day for three weeks, to protest against the lack of action on the climate crisis.
- On the 8th of September, Greta decided to continue striking every Friday until the Swedish policies provided a safe pathway well under 2-degree C, i.e. in line with the Paris agreement.
- The hashtags #FridaysForFuture and #Climatestrike spread and many students and adults began to protest outside of their parliaments and local city halls all over the world.
//php comments_template(); ?>