President Kovind holds Delegation-Level Talks with Myanmar Leadership
12, Dec 2018
Prelims level : Mains level :
- President Ram Nath Kovind held delegation-level talks with the Myanmar leadership. He was given a grand ceremonial reception and guard of honour at Myanmar president house in the morning.
- President’s visit to Myanmar aims to continue India’s high-level engagements with Myanmar under the rubric of ‘Act East Policy’ and ‘Neighbourhood First Policy’.
MoUs Signed between the countries:
- After wide-ranging talks with Myanmar President and the State counsellor, India and Myanmar signed two MOUs.
- First one is for the training of Myanmar judicial officers in India, in the field of civil law, criminal law, environmental and medical jurisprudence.
- The second one is to enhance cooperation in science and technology, especially for the research in industry, agriculture and other fields.
- India has also handed over first 50 housing units, built for people of Myanmar, under the India-Myanmar friendship project.