PROTECTED SPECIAL AGRICULTURE ZONE
10, Feb 2020
Prelims level : Agriculture, ignorance, subsidy, marketing Mains level : GS3 - Major crops cropping patterns in various parts of the country, different types of irrigation and irrigation systems storage, transport and marketing of agricultural produce and issues and related constraints; e-technology in the aid of farmers.
Why in News?
- Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu recently announced that the Cauvery delta regionwould be declared as Protected Special Agriculture Zone.
What is a Protected Agriculture Zone?
- Declaring as the Protected Special Agriculture Zone ensures that particular region will not be granted permission for any new projects like those related to hydrocarbons.
- Only Agro based Industries would be given permission to be built.
What are the regions declared as Protected Zones?
- To guard the delta areas and end farmers’ ordeals, the special protection will be bestowed on Cauvery Delta districtssuch as Thanjavur, Tiruvarur, Nagappattinam, Pudukottai, Cuddalore, Ariyalur, Karur and Tiruchirappalli districts.
Why such protection is essential?
- The Cauvery Delta Region is an important agricultural region in Tamil Naduand farmers continue to do agriculture, despite climate changes.
- It is just and reasonable that projects like hydrocarbon exploration have raised concerns among farmers and other agriculture-based labourers.
- Since the delta region is close to the sea, there is a need to safeguard the region.
What would be the benefits of this declaration?
- The benefits that have accrued for farmers are manifold.
- Drilling for extraction of oil and gas in these regions that hampers agriculture and posing much environmental impact or health hazards will be stopped immediately.
- Whatever the project introduced by the centre, it cannot be implemented without the NOC from that state.