PSLV C45 MISSION TO MARK SEVERAL FIRST FOR ISRO
26, Mar 2019
Prelims level : Science & Technology – Space Technology Mains level : GS – III Science and Technology- developments and their applications and effects in everyday life
India’s Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV), in its 47th mission (PSLV-C45), will launch EMISAT, the primary satellite and 28 international customer satellites.
- Weighing about 436 kg, EMISAT based on ISRO’s Indian Mini Satellite -2 (IMS-2) bus platform. The satellite is intended for electromagnetic spectrum
- The PS4 orbital platform is envisaged to provide a microgravity environment for research organisations and academic institutes to perform
- In this mission, the PS4 hosts three payloads, namely,
- Automatic Identification System (AIS) from ISRO,
- Automatic Packet Repeating System (APRS) from AMSAT (Radio Amateur Satellite Corporation), India and
- Advanced Retarding Potential Analyzer for Ionospheric Studies (ARIS) from Indian Institute of Space Science and technology (IIST).
- 7. The 28 international customer satellites are from four countries, viz. Lithuania, Spain, Switzerland and USA. All these satellites are being launched under commercial arrangements.
Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle:
- Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV) is the third generation launch vehicle of India.
- It is the first Indian launch vehicle to be equipped with liquid stages.
- After its first successful launch in October 1994, PSLV emerged as the reliable and versatile workhorse launch vehicle of India with 39 consecutively successful missions by June 2017.
- During 1994-2017 period, the vehicle has launched 48 Indian satellites and 209 satellites