Punjab and Haryana High Court has accorded the status of legal person or entity to animals
04, Jun 2019
Prelims level : Mains level :
- What are the directives issued by Judiciary to prevent cruelty against animals in India? Evaluate.
- The Punjab and Haryana High Court has accorded the status of legal person or entity to animals, granting them the “corresponding rights, duties, and liabilities of a living person”.
- The Bench also provided guidelines for the accord.
- It has fixed load to be carried by animals and banned their deployment for pulling vehicles inextreme cold and heat conditions.
- The use of spike sticks, harness or yoke with spikes, knobs, projections and other sharp instruments were also banned in Haryana, to begin with, for avoiding bruises, swelling, abrasions and severe pain to them.
- To avoid inconvenience to animals the court directed the police to ensure that carts driven by animals were given the “right of way”.
- Their use was also limited to nine hours a day in the aggregate, and not more than five hours without a break.
- It also owners to put fluorescent reflectors in the front and back of their carts and the animals shall also be covered with stripes of fluorescent reflectors for their identification at night.