Railways to grant fare concession to transgender senior citizens
Why in news?
- The Indian Railways announced on December 27, 2018 that it has decided to grant 40-per-cent concession in passenger fares to transgender senior citizens.
- The concession will be applicable to those of the third gender, who are aged 60 years or above. It will be available from January 1, 2019.
- The Indian Railways offers concessions on ticket prices to 53 different categories, ranging from 10-100 per cent.
- The railways grants 40 per cent concession in fares to men aged 60 years or above and 50 per cent concession in fares to women aged 58 years or above.
- The students going to their hometown or educational tours can avail a concession of 50 per cent in fares for the second and sleeper class, while students belonging to the Scheduled Tribe community can avail a concession of 75 per cent.
- Similarly, government school students in rural areas are eligible to get a concession of 75 per cent in second class for a study tour or an entrance examination once a year.
- Those appearing for UPSC and Central Staff Selection Commission can also avail a concession of 50 per cent on the fares.
- Industrial labours and farmers, who wish to visit agricultural exhibitions, can also avail a 25-per-cent concession on second-class and sleeper-class tickets.
- In addition, foreign students studying in India are also eligible for a 50-per-cent concession in the second and sleeper class.
- Apart from these, senior citizens, who book their railway tickets online, now have the option to choose between 100-per-cent concession, 50-per-cent concession and no concession.
- Though a column for transgender (T) was introduced in the reservation form, the concession was not admissible to them.
//php comments_template(); ?>