REGISTRATION OF ALL MOTOR VEHICLES STOPPED
03, May 2019
Prelims level : Governance Mains level : Governance, Constitution, Polity, Social Justice and International relations
Why in News
- NIC blocks access for not integrating high security registration plate details with ‘Vahan’ database
- The issuing of certificate of registration (RC) for all classes of motor vehicles has been blocked from in the country for not integrating high security registration plate (HSRP) with the ‘Vahan’ database.
- The National Informatics Centre (NIC) blocked access to the Transport Mission Mode Project’s pan-India application ‘Vahan’ for vehicle registration on a directive of the Union Ministry of Road Transport and Highways
What is Vahan?
- A digital national vehicle registry portal called Vahan.
- Vahan intends to collate all the information available with road transport authorities for easy access by both citizens and regulators.
- Data available with over 90 per cent of all road transport authorities have been computerised for this purpose. Vahan contains about 21.68 crore vehicle records in its repository. Vahan allows access to all details related to vehicles such as registration number, chassis/engine number, body/fuel type, colour, manufacturer and model and provides various online services to citizens.
- Driving Licence and related data are automated through a separate application called ‘Sarathi’.
National Informatics Centre
- National Informatics Centre is the premier science and technology organisation of the Government of India in informatics services and information and
- communication technology (ICT) applications. Established in 1976, it works under the Department of Electronics & Information Technology ofMinistry of Electronics and Information Technology.