RELEASE LIST OF CONVICTED OFFICIALS, CIC ORDERS CUSTOMS DEPARTMENT
01, Apr 2019
Prelims level : Polity / Governance - Governance Mains level : GS II - Important aspects of governance, transparency and accountability, e- governance- applications.
Why in News:
- The Central Information Commission (CIC) has directed the Customs Department to make public a list of officers caught red- handed for smuggling gold and heroin, and other illegal activities
- The CIC also called for making public about the details of officers convicted or jailed for giving false statements or evidence and such data cannot be considered personal information which should be made available in the public interest.
Central Information Commission (CIC):
- CIC was established by Central Government under provisions of Right to Information Act 2005. Under Section 18 of the Act, it consists of one Chief Information Commissioner, who will head the Commission, and such number of Central Information Commissioners, as may be deemed necessary, but not exceeding ten.
- On 26 October 2005, Mr. Wajahat Habibullah became India’s first Chief Information Commissioner.
- It plays important role in maintaining transparency in system of governance essential for healthy democracy. Such kind of transparency aims to curb corruption, nepotism and misuse or abuse of the authority.
- It is a statutory authority to receive and inquire into complaint from any person.
- CIC submits annual report to Union government on the implementation of the RTI Act.
Right to Information Act (RTI)
- Article 19(1) of the Indian Constitution specifies that the Right to Information (RTI) is a part of the fundamental rights. It says that every citizen has freedom of speech and expression. As per the RTI Act, every citizen has the right to receive a timely response from the government for any information regarding functioning of the government.
- It aims to promote transparency and accountability in the government Empowerment of the citizens
- Prevention and elimination of corruption