REWEAVE – E-COMMERCE PLATFORM
GS 3: Economy
Why in news?
Microsoft India launched a new e-commerce platform ‘re-weave.in’ under project ReWeave to aid handloom weavers.
- The e-commerce platform would connect artisans to the buyers directly enabling them to expand to newer customers and markets.
- It will provide a platform to showcase signature collections created by the weaver communities, showcase traditional designs and products created from natural dyes to a broad set of customers.
- The e-commerce platform would aid weavers in increasing their income and earning a sustainable livelihood
- Project ReWeave was initiated by Microsoft India (R&D) Pvt. Limited in 2016 as part of its Philanthropies efforts, with the aim to revive the handloom weaving ecosystem in India.
- Under the initiative, Microsoft is working closely with NGO partner, Chaitanya Bharathi to provide infrastructure, financing and marketing support to help weaver families keep their weaving traditions alive by sustaining livelihoods.