Why in News?
- The Sagar Parikrama Phase III, a program by the Department of Fisheries, Ministry of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and Dairying and National Fisheries Development Board, was recently started on 19th Feb 2023 from Surat, Gujarat.
- The main objectives of the program are to disseminate information about various fisheries related schemes and programs, promoting responsible fisheries with a focus on sustainable balance, and protection of marine ecosystems.
- The Phase-I of the program started in March 2022 from Mandvi and ended on 6th March 2022 at Porbandar, Gujarat.
- Kisan Credit Card (KCC) cards were distributed to fishers and fish farmers.
- It was also declared that the Satpati Fish Market Hwould be inaugurated according to the state-of-the-art standards.
- It is a navigation journey to be conducted in all coastal states/UTs through a pre-decided sea route to demonstrate solidarity with all fisherfolk, fish farmers and concerned stakeholders
- It will focus on sustainable balance between the utilisation of marine fisheries resources for food security of the nation and livelihoods of coastal fisher communities and protection of marine ecosystems.
- India is the second major producer of fish through aquaculture in the world.
- India is the 4th largest exporter of fish in the world as it contributes 7.7% to the global fish production.
- Also, India ranks 1st in inland capture fish production and 3rd in overall fish production in the world.
- Currently, this sector provides livelihood to more than 2.8 crore people within the country.