Satellite Images help Assess Poverty
10, Jan 2019
Prelims level : Space Mains level : GS 3: Awareness in the fields of IT, Space, Computers, robotics, Nano-technology, bio-technology and issues relating to intellectual property rights.
- High-resolution satellite data can precisely assess the status of poverty at household level in rural areas of developing countries, according to a study.
- According to a study, if countries are to achieve the U.N. sustainable development goals, it is particularly important to track the living conditions in poor nations around the world where the future population growth is highest.
- Based on high-resolution satellite images, the status of poverty at household level in rural areas in developing countries can be precisely assessed.
Applications of Satellites:
- The reconnaissance satellites are used to spy on other countries, they provide intelligence information on the military activities of foreign countries, they can detect the missile launches or the nuclear explosions in space.
- The ocean surveillance satellites are used to search for the ships or the submarines, they can spot the nuclear vessels, and new advancements may allow them to scan the depths of the ocean.
- The satellites provide the meteorologists with the ability to see the weather on a global scale The satellites are used in the field of oceanography, use the satellites to detect the oceans affect on environment; they can analyze the wave patterns.
- The satellites are the best sources of data for the climate change research, they monitor the ocean temperatures and the prevailing currents, the data acquired by the satellite-borne radars were able to show the sea levels have been rising by three mm a year over the last decade.
- Imaging satellites can measure the changing sizes of the glaciers which is difficult to do from the ground due to the remoteness and darkness of the Polar Regions, the satellites can determine the long-term patterns of the rainfall, the vegetation cover, and the emissions of the greenhouse gases.
- Earth observation satellites can monitor the ocean and the wind currents, the extent of the forest fires, the oil spills, and the airborne pollution, this information helps organize the emergency responders and the environmental clean-up.