Satish Dhawan Space Science Center
04, Oct 2018
Prelims level : Mains level : Space Science Research and Development
Why in News?
- The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) signed an MoU with the Central University of Jammu (CUJ) in Jammu for setting up of the Satish Dhawan Center for Space Science in the University.
- Space Sciences is a multidisciplinary subject which involves basic sciences such as physics, chemistry, biology, astronomy, geology, planetary science, mathematics, atmospheric sciences, geography, space engineering and even space law.
- To create awareness about space research.
- To motivate young minds to take up research related to space, astronomy, geology, atmospheric sciences and related fields, a two-day workshop was also inaugurated at the CUJ campus.
- Tapping potential of Space Applications for the region of J&K in various fields like disaster management, health, education, communication, weather forecasting, land use planning, etc.
- Particular interest to J&K and the larger Himalayan region as its economy and habitations are affected by vegetation cover, forest area, snow, landslides, avalanches, ground water, cloud cover, atmospheric conditions etc. which can be easily monitored from space through remote sensing.
- It will have facilities for Geospatial Data analysis that will help in sustainable use of natural resources and planning land-use pattern.
- It will have ground-based observations for Atmospheric Studies, research lab for astrophysics, Atmospheric Sensing and Glacier studies Lab for better use of large quantity of water stored in the form of seasonal snow, ice and glaciers in the rivers of North India.