Second Scorpene submarine ready for induction
18, Mar 2019
Prelims level : Defence Mains level : GS - III
- Indian Navy is set to induct the second Scorpene submarine Khanderi .
- Mazagon Dock Limited (MDL), Mumbai, is manufacturing six Scorpene submarines under technology transfer from Naval Group of France under a 2005 contract worth $3.75 bn.
- The first submarine of the class Kalvari joined service in December 2017. The entire project is expected to be completed by 2020.
- The third in the Scorpene series Karanj which was launched in January last year is in advanced stage of trials and could be ready for induction by year end.
- The last two submarines Vagir and Vagsheer are in advanced stages of manufacturing on the assembly line.
- Kalvari is the first modern conventional submarine inducted by the Navy in almost two decades.