Seismometer In Maharashtra
04, Mar 2019
Prelims level : Mains level :
- The National Centre of Seismology (NCS) and India Meteorological Department (IMD) decided to have another seismometer would be installed in Palghar district, taking the total number of such monitors to four.
- The National Centre for Seismology (NCS) under the Ministry of Earth Sciences and the CSIR laboratory National Geophysical Research Institute (NGRI), Hyderabad, have set up 5 stations with seismometers in Dahanu and Talasari to identify the source of the earthquakes and understand their cause.
- It is on the event of two earthquakes rocked Mahrashtra in quick succession three days before.
- According to officials from IMD, the fourth instrument to be located east of the last earthquake’s epicentre will enable the team in acquiring a more accurate data.
- Palghar district has seen thousands of small earthquakes since November 2018, but the March 1 quake measuring 4.3 on the moment magnitude (Mw) scale was the first time the magnitude crossed 4 here