SETTING UP OF NATIONAL TECHNICAL TEXTILE MISSION
23, Mar 2020
Prelims level : Governance Mains level : GS-II Government Policies and Interventions for Development in various sectors and Issues Arising out of their design and Implementation.
Why in News?
- The government has approved the proposal for creation of National Technical Textiles Mission for a period of 4 years with an outlay of Rs.1480 crores.
- Objective:To position India as a global leader in technical textiles and increase the use of technical textiles in the domestic market.
- Implementation :For 4 years from 2020-21 to 2023-24
Components of the National Technical Textiles Mission:
- Component-l (Research, Innovation and Development):
- Will focus on research and development at both, fiber level and application-based in geo, agro, medical, sports and mobile textiles and development of bio- degradable technical textiles.
- Research activities will also focus on development of indigenous machinery and process equipment.
- Will have an outlay of ₹1,000 crores.
- Component-II (Promotion and Market Development):
- Will be for promotion and development of market for technical textiles.
- Will aim at average growth rate of 15-20% per annum taking the level of domestic market size to 40-50 Billion USD by the year 2024.
- Component–III (Export Promotion):
- Will focus on export promotion so that technical textile exports from the country reach from the ₹14,000 crore now to ₹20,000 crores by 2021-2022.
- Ensure 10% average growth every year till the Mission ends.
- An export promotion council for technical textiles will be set up.
- Component-IV (Education, Training, Skill Development):✓ Will promote Technical Education at higher engineering and technology levels related to technical textiles and its application areas.
Significance of the Mission:
- The Mission will focus on usage of technical textiles in various flagship missions, including in strategic sectors.
- The use of technical textiles in agriculture, aquaculture, dairy, poultry, etc. Jal Jivan Mission; Swachch Bharat Mission; Ayushman Bharat will bring an overall improvement in cost economy, water and soil conservation, better agricultural productivity and higher income to farmers per acre of land holding in addition to promotion of manufacturing and exports activities in India.
- The use of geo-textiles in highways, railways and ports will result in robust infrastructure, reduced maintenance cost and higher life cycle of the infrastructure assets.
- Promotion of innovation amongst young engineers will be taken up by the Mission; along with creation of incubation centres and promotion of ‘start-up’ and Ventures’.
- The research output will be reposited with a ‘Trust’ with the Government for easy and assessable proliferation of the knowledge.A sub-component of the research will focus on development of bio degradable technical textiles materials, particularly for agro-textiles, geo-textiles and medical textiles. It will also develop suitable equipment for environmentally sustainable disposal of used technical textiles, with emphasis on safe disposal of medical and hygiene wastes. There is another important sub-component in the research activity aiming at development of indigenous machineries and process equipment for technical textiles, in order to promote ‘Make in India’ and enable competitiveness of the industry by way of reducedcapital costs.