Why in News?
- The Ministry of Human Resources Development has launched the Scheme for Higher Education Youth in Apprenticeship and Skills (SHREYAS) for providing industry apprenticeship opportunities to the general graduates exiting in April 2019 through the National Apprenticeship Promotional Scheme (NAPS).
Significance of the programme:
- To make our degree students more skilled, capable, employable
- It is aligned to the needs of our economy so that they contribute to country’s progress and
also obtain gainful employment. To fill the gap between education and industry/service sectors on a sustainable basis.
- The program aims to enhance the employability of Indian youth by providing ‘on the job work exposure’ and earning of stipend.
- The programme basket comprising the initiatives of three Central Ministries, namely
- Ministry of Human Resource Development,
- Ministry of Skill Development & Entrepreneurship and
- The Ministry of Labour & Employment viz the National Apprenticeship Promotion Scheme (NAPS), the National Career Service (NCS) and introduction of BA/BSc/BCom (Professional) courses in the higher educational institutions.
- It is a programme conceived for students in degree courses, primarily non-technical, with a view to introduce employable skills into their learning, promote apprenticeship as integral to education and also amalgamate employment facilitating efforts of the Government into the education system. To clear pathways towards employment opportunities are available to students during and after their graduation.
- The portal aims to provide internships to students pursuing general courses, connect recruiters and graduates.
- Portal will enable educational institutions and industry to log in and provide their respective demand and supply of apprenticeship.
- The matching of students with apprenticeship avenues will take place as per pre-specified eligibility criteria.
- The website, shreyas.ac.in, is operational and is already inviting applications from students from non-technical courses such as BA, BSc. BCom et al. Students and alumni can register themselves at the portal which will connect them with apprenticeship programmes and recruiters.
//php comments_template(); ?>