SpaceX successfully launches, deploys 60 internet satellites
26, May 2019
Prelims level : Mains level :
- SpaceX sent a packed rocket of 60 satellites into space.
- The launch was “the heaviest payload a Falcon 9 rocket has ever launched.
- The satellites represent the company’s ambitious plan to build an interconnected satellite network to beam high-speed internet to anywhere on the planet.
- The Falcon 9 rocket launched from the company’s pad in Cape Canaveral, Florida.
- SpaceX deployed the 60 Starlink satellites in a “very low Earth orbit” of 440 kilometers above the surface.
- The full Starlink network would consist of 11,943 satellites flying close to the planet, closer than the International Space Station.