SUPER-EFFICIENT AIR CONDITIONING PROGRAMME LAUNCHED BY EESL
GS 3: Economy | Development – Energy
Why in News?
- Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL), a joint venture of four National Public Sector Enterprises under Ministry of Power, Government of India, launched its Super-Efficient Air Conditioning Programme for residential and institutional consumers in the BSES area.
- The Super-Efficient ACs Super-Efficient Air Conditioning programme launched by EESL to be 40% more efficient than current 3-star technology.
- Besides promoting energy efficiency, the Super-Efficient AC programme will also help to reduce the peak power demand enabling the two organisations to harness synergies to promote energy security and sustainability.
- The programme directly addresses the prospect of the nearly four-fold increase in energy consumption from buildings and cooling appliances in India by 2032, while also addressing goals of India’s Cooling Action Plan and Hydrochlorofluro carbons Phase Out Management Plan, enabling achievement of India’s targets under the Kigali and Paris Agreements.
- EESL will conduct all activities related to source, supply, complaint management and redressal, and fulfilment of warranty obligations for the products.
- Applying its proven business model of demand aggregation, EESL will mobilize the capital of INR 150 crores for the programme while redeeming its investment through upfront payments for the super-efficient ACs from customers.
- EESL has initiated the procurement process of super-efficient ACs, thereby capitalising on opportunities for leveraging economies of scale through demand aggregation, and so reducing the cost of this superior green technology to consumers.
- EESL’s investment in the programme is partially supported by a grant from the Global
Environment Facility (GEF).
- Further, Asian Development Bank (ADB) is providing necessary grant support and loan while United Nations Environment (UNEP) is providing technical assistance support to the Super-Efficient AC programme.
During the event, EESL also launched its e-Commerce website, in, through which customers of BRPL, and of other DISCOMs that partner with EESL in future, can purchase the super-efficient air conditioners. With a focus on increasing consumer adoption of, and access to, energy efficient technologies, the website will also allow customers to purchase other appliances distributed by EESL, including induction cookstoves and products sold under the UJALA programme – 9-Watt LED bulbs, LED luminaries, and BEE 5-star rated energy efficient fans.
Global Environment Facility (GEF):
- GEF is an independent financing mechanism that was established on the eve of the 1992 Rio Earth Summit to address global environmental issues.
- The GEF is an international partnership of 183 countries, international institutions, civil society organizations and the private sector.