27, May 2019
Prelims level : Science & Technology Mains level : Awareness In The Fields Of It, Space, Computers, Robotics, Nano-Technology
Why in News?
- Scientists from the Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bengaluru confirms that their material exhibits major properties of superconductivity at ambient temperature and pressure.
- Superconductivity is a phenomenon of exactly zero electrical resistance and expulsion of magnetic flux fields occurring in certain materials, called superconductors, when cooled below a characteristic critical temperature.
- A material is said to be a superconductor if it conducts electricity with zero resistance to the flow of electrons.
- Until now, scientists have been able to make materials superconduct only at temperature much below zero degree C and hence making practical utility very difficult.
- They help build very high efficiency devices leading to huge energy savings.
Silver embedded gold matrix:
- The material that exhibited superconductivity is in the form of nanosized films and pellets made of silver nanoparticles embedded in a gold matrix.
- Interestingly, silver and gold independently do not exhibit superconductivity.