SWACHH 2020 LEAGUE TABLE
02, Jan 2020
Prelims level : Environmental Impact Assessment Mains level : GS-III Conservation, Environmental Pollution and Degradation, Environmental Impact Assessment.
- Indore, Jamshedpur are recently declared as the cleanest on Swachh 2020 table.
About Swachh Bharat (Urban):
- Its aim is to attain 100% open Defecation Free status and 100% Solid Waste Management in all Urban local bodies.
- It is implemented by Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA).
- It states that the urban areas of 35 state and union territories of Urban India achieved ODF status.
About Swachh Survekshan (Survey)
- It is conducted by MoHUA every year since 2016.
- Last year it focused on Sustainability and now it currently focusses on continuous monitoring, sustainable Outcomes and Institutionalizing Swachhata (which means cleanliness).
About Swachh Survekshan 2020:
- It is an annual survey conducted on Jan 4-31, 2020.
- Swachh Survekshan league 2020 is a part of Swachh Survekshan. Its weightage is 25% in Swachh Survekshan 2020.
About Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike (BBMP):
- For the first time, the civic body has got the Open Defection free (ODF) tag, which provide impetus to the BBMP.
- It has taken steps to treat leachate, introduced biometric attendance for all pourakamikas, appointed marshals to check indiscriminate dumping of waste, besides providing handled machines to levy spot fines.
- It also took steps to set up a state-of-the-art smart control room for solid waste management.
About the Key findings of Swachh Survekshan League 2020:
- It is been conducted in a league format for the first time, were split into three quarters that is April to June, June to September and October to December.
- Among cities with population between 1 lakh and 10 lakh, Jamshedpur in Jharkhand got the top rank in both quarters. New Delhi fell from second position in the first quarter to sixth position in the second quarter.
- It is mainly focused on service level progress of Solid Waste Management.
- It includes categoriessuch as
- Transportation and collection
- Processing and Disposal
- Sustainable sanitation
- Capacity Building
- It is calorized as cities with population greater than 1 lakh and population lesser than 1 lakh.
- It also provides ranking for Contonment Boards, which is cooperate body under the Contonment act, 2006.
- Indore and Jamshedpur have topped the cleanliness charts for two consecutive quarters among cities with over 10 lakh population with 1 lakh to 10 lakh population.
- The result of Swachh Survekshan 2020 is announced by the MoHUA.
- A national level survey of cleanliness of cities will begin from January 4, leading to the final Swachh Survekshan 2020 ranking.
- Kolkata remained at the bottom of the ranking of 49 major cities across both quarters as West Bengal did not participate in the national wide exercise.