TEHRAN Proposes a new Regional Forum for west Asia
10, Jan 2019
Prelims level : GS 2: Important International institutions, agencies and fora- their structure, mandate. Mains level : International events/policies/organizations
- Iran has proposed a new platform for regional peace building as a diplomatic initiative to address the lingering conflicts and mistrust in the Gulf region.
- The announcement of Persian Gulf Regional Dialogue Forum is significant as it comes in the wake of continued erosion of the Gulf Cooperation Council, which in the recent years has been divided between the Iranian and the Saudi spheres.
- It is said that admission to such a forum should be based on accepting generally-recognised principles and shared objectives, notably respect for sovereignty, territorial integrity and the political independence of all states
- And the forum should render international boundaries inviolable and use of force impermissible
- The forum could also be used effectively in dealing with threats like terrorism and extremism that has left the countries of the region in a state of continuous state of insecurity
- Western Asia, West Asia, Southwestern Asia or Southwest Asia is the westernmost subregion of Asia. The concept is in limited use, as it significantly overlaps with the Middle East (or the Near East), the main difference usually being the exclusion of the majority of Egypt (which would be counted as part of North Africa) and the inclusion of the Caucasus.
- Western Asia is located directly south of Eastern The region is surrounded by seven major seas; the Aegean Sea, the Black Sea, the Caspian Sea, the Persian Gulf, the Arabian Sea, the Red Sea, and the Mediterranean Sea.
- To the north, the region is delimited from Europe by the Caucasus Mountains, to the southwest, it is delimited from Africa by the Isthmus of Suez, while to the east, the region adjoins Central Asia and South Asia.
- The Dasht-e Kavir and Dasht-e Lut deserts in eastern Iran naturally delimit the region somewhat from Asia itself. Below are the countries fall under Western Asia