Telangana State Formation Day was celebrated on 2 June
04, Jun 2019
Prelims level : Mains level :
- Telangana was formed on 2nd June in 2014 following the bifurcation of Andhra Pradesh. A number of cultural events, sports, and social events lined up in the state as part of the celebration.
- The celebrations are held in all the 30 districts of the state.
- The state of Telangana was officially formed on 2 June 2014. Kalvakuntla Chandrashekar Rao was elected as the first chief minister of Telangana, following elections in which the Telangana Rashtra Samithi party secured a majority.
- On 1 July 2013, the Congress Working Committee unanimously passed a resolution to recommend the formation of a separate Telangana state. After various stages, the bill was placed in the Parliament of India in February 2014.
- In February 2014, Andhra Pradesh Reorganisation Act, 2014 bill was passed by the Parliament of India for the formation of Telangana state comprising ten districts from north-western Andhra Pradesh. The bill received the assent of the President and published in the Gazette on 1 March 2014.
Telangana is bordered by the states of:
- Maharashtra to the north
- Chhattisgarh and Karnataka to the west
- Andhra Pradesh to the south and east