Traffic Jam-like situation at Mt. Everest
24, May 2019
Prelims level : Mains level :
- Mt Everest witnessed a traffic-jam like situation as over 200 mountaineers attempted to reach the summit point.
- Climbers from many countries reached above the Camp IV early morning and complained of waiting for more than two hours in queues.
- The government issued a record number of 381 climbing permits to the mountaineers representing 44 teams this spring season.
- The long, winding line to the peak added risk to what is already one of the most dangerous mountains, raising the possibility of frostbite and oxygen depletion.
- At least two climbers died after having reached the summit on Wednesday, and their deaths may have been related to the delays.