TRANSPORT AND MARKETING ASSISTANCE (TMA)
GS 3: Economy | Infrastructure: Energy, Ports, Roads, Airports, and Railways etc.
Why in News?
Department of Commerce of the Ministry of Commerce & Industry has notified a scheme for Transport and Marketing Assistance (TMA) for Specified Agriculture Products.
- The “Transport and Marketing Assistance” (TMA) for specified agriculture products scheme aims to provide assistance for the international component of freight and marketing of agricultural produce.
- To mitigate disadvantage of higher cost of transportation of export of specified agriculture products due to trans-shipment. To promote brand recognition for Indian agricultural products in the specified overseas markets.
- The scheme would be suitably included in the Foreign Trade Policy (2015-20).
- The scheme will be available for exports effected from March 1, 2019 to March 31, 2020.
- Eligibility: All exporters, duly registered with relevant Export Promotion Council as per Foreign Trade Policy, of eligible agriculture products shall be covered under this scheme.
- The assistance, at notified rates, will be available for export of eligible agriculture products to the permissible countries, as specified from time to time. The assistance shall be admissible only if payments for the exports are received in Free Foreign Exchange through normal banking channels.
- The scheme shall be admissible for exports made through EDI (Electronic Data Interchange) ports only.
- The scheme covers freight and marketing assistance for export by air as well as by sea.
- Exceptions: The assistance is available for most agricultural product exports with some exceptions such as live animals, products of animal origin, milk, cream, curd, butter, buttermilk, whey, rice, wheat, tobacco and garlic.