Trump declares national emergency over IT threats
16, May 2019
Prelims level : Mains level :
- US President Donald Trump has declared a national emergency to protect American computer networks from foreign adversaries.
- Trump signed an executive order which effectively bars US companies from using foreign telecoms believed to pose a security risk to the country.
- Mr Trump does not name any company specifically in the order. However, analysts suggest it is mainly directed at Chinese telecommunications giant Huawei.
- A number of countries – including the US – have raised concerns that the company’s products could be used by China for surveillance.
- Huawei work does not pose any threat. The US is also embroiled in an escalating trade war with China.