Prelims Syllabus : Policies Mains Syllabus : GS-II Issues relating to development and management of Social Sector or Services relating to Health, Education, Human Resources.
Why in News?
- Shiv Sena Rajya Sabha member Anil Desai introduced a Private Member’s Bill in the Rajya Sabha.
- The Bill proposes incentives in taxation, education and employment for people who limit their family size to two children.
- The Bill has sought the incorporation of a new provision, Article 47A in Part IV of the Constitution, to withdraw all concessions from people who fail to adhere to the “small-family” norm.
- The Bill aims to amend the Constitution in order to incentivise limiting families to two children by offering tax concessions, priority in social benefit schemes and school admissions, among other things.
- The Bill proposes the insertion of Article 47A after Article 47 of the Constitution.
- Article 47A says the following: The State shall promote small family norms by offering incentives in taxes, employment, education etc. to its people who keep their family limited to two children and shall withdraw every concession from and deprive such incentives to those not adhering to small family norm, to keep the growing population under control.
Need for Two Child Norms:
- India’s population rate has overrun the ability of the environment to cater to. This has caused stress on the limited resources of the country.
- The higher population has not resulted in higher productivity rate in terms of creation of wealth instead the per capita wealth has depriciated.
- Women are forced to undergo multiple pregnancies over a short period of time. This has created adverse effect on their health leading to their death in some cases.
Drawbacks of Two Child Norms:
- It will increase the cases of mass sterilization especially by poor women belonging to backward area. This may result in deaths of women due to improper procedures.
- The replacement rate of the old population will decrease significantly due to which the number of working age population will reduce drastically.