UAE Cabinet announces new process of visa facilitation for expat families
GS 2: IR | Bilateral relations
Why in News?
- The United Arab Emirates (UAE) on March 31, 2019 announced new visa guidelines as per which family members of foreign citizens, including Indians, working in the country will now be able to get an “expat visa” if the working relative fulfils income criteria.
- The new process for visa facilitation was announced by UAE Cabinet. Under the new guidelines, the salary of the expat will be taken into account rather than job title to sponsor their immediate family member to come and stay with them.
- The amendment is in line with international developments and accordance with best practices.
- The decision aims at enhancing family stability of foreign workers and social cohesion, as well as attracting highly skilled workers while maintaining a healthy balance between professional and personal life.
- The UAE Cabinet has adopted a decision to amend provisions of the resolution on sponsoring of family members of the foreign workers in the country.
- The amended provisions now indicate income as a requirement for sponsoring family members, as opposed to the previously listed professions that allowed workers to sponsor their families.
- Under the new changes, the expatriate residents, both employers and employees, may sponsor their families in the UAE provided they have a valid residency permit.
- The male residents employed in the UAE will be able to sponsor their immediate family members, such as wife and children, provided that they fulfill the income criteria, which includes having a minimum salary of 4,000 Dirhams or 3,000 Dirhams plus accommodation.
- The other key requirement for male residents is that they must hold a profession that allows them to sponsor their family. However, the mother will not be allowed to sponsor her family.
- Besides, domestic helpers and certain other categories can also not sponsor their families regardless of their salary.
//php comments_template(); ?>