Saudi Arabia says it seeks to avert war, ball in Iran’s court
20, May 2019
Prelims level : Mains level :
- Saudi Arabia has wants to avert war in the region but stands ready to respond with ‘all strength’, telling Iran that the ball was now in its court.
- Minister of state for foreign affairs, Adel al-Jubeir and the kingdom wants peace and stability.
- In the event the other side chooses war, the Saudi Arabia will respond with all force and determination and will defend itself and its interests.
- This comes following last week’s attacks on Saudi oil assets.
- Riyadh has accused Tehran of ordering Tuesday’s drone strikes on two oil pumping stations in the kingdom, claimed by Yemen’s Iran-aligned Houthi group.
- Two days earlier, four vessels, including two Saudi oil tankers, were sabotaged off the coast of the United Arab Emirates.
- Iran has denied involvement in either operation. Gulf officials say an investigation into the tanker incident is underway.