UJH AND BASANTAR BRIDGES IN J&K
23, Jul 2019
Prelims level : Economics- Infrastructure Road, inland, Railway aviation, Housing, Rural & Urban Mains level : GS-III- Infrastructure: Energy, Ports, Roads, Airports, Railways, etc.
Why in News?
- Raksha Mantri inaugurated the One-kilometre long Ujh bridge in Kathua district, 617.40-Metre-long Basantar bridge in Samba district of Jammu & Kashmir today and dedicated these to the Nation.
- One Km long Ujh bridge is the longest bridge constructed by BRO.
- These bridges will provide smooth connectivity and are vital for the Army for deployment on border areas.
- These bridges will be a big relief for the local people of border villages of Kathua and Samba sector as road connectivity used to get disrupted during Monsoon.
Border Roads Organisation:
- The Border Roads Organisation develops and maintains road networks in India’s border areas and friendly neighboring countries.
- Currently, the organisation maintains operations in twenty-one states, one UT (Andaman and Nicobar Islands), and neighboring countries such as Afghanistan, Bhutan, Myanmar, and Sri Lanka.
- The Border Roads Organisation works under the Ministry of Defence.