UN Global Counter Terrorism Coordination Compact
Why in news?
- UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has launched a new framework to combat the scourge of international terrorism and coordinate efforts across the peace and security, humanitarian, human rights and sustainable development sectors.
- Termed the UN Global Counter-Terrorism Coordination Compact, the framework is an agreement between the UN chief, 36 organizational entities, the International Criminal Police Organisation (INTERPOL) and the World Customs Organisation, to better serve the needs of Member States when it comes to tackling the scourge of international terrorism.
Objectives of the agreement:
- To bring the UN agencies together to combat terrorism with common approach and find the ways to improve the strategies to support member states.
- To protect the people from violent extremist groups and hate speeches.
- To adopt the strategies that do not compromise the international human rights standards and rule of law.
- To monitor use of technology which is the main source of reaching people globally and manipulate them.
- To devise the policies that will protect communities and their religious belief.
Need of the Framework:
- The Global terrorism index released by Institute for Economic and Peace showed that there is a decrease in deaths due to terrorism, but the impacts of terrorism are still spreading all over the world.
- United Nation is actively working to bring peace and cooperation among member states.
- To combat counter terrorism UN created UN counter-terrorism implementation task force in 2005.
- The task force consists of 38 international entities.
- The goal of Counter terrorism Implementation task force was to organize working groups and the project related to counter terrorism.
- Finally, on 23rd February 2018, a new agreement was signed to create more integrated working approach between the agencies and coordinate them for counter terrorism and prevention of violent extremism. UN Global counter terrorism coordination compact replaced counter-Terrorism Implementation Task Force.
//php comments_template(); ?>