UNION CABINET CLEARS FRESH BILL TO BAN INSTANT TRIPLE TALAQ
13, Jun 2019
Prelims level : Rights Issue Mains level : GS-II Governance, Social Justice and IR
Why in News:
- Cabinet approves legislation to replace ordinance, bill to be introduced in upcoming session of the new Lok Sabha
- The Union Cabinet on Wednesday approved the Muslim Women (Protection of Rights on Marriage) Bill, 2019, paving the way for the legislation to be introduced in the upcoming session of Parliament.
- The Bill, which would replace the Muslim Women (Protection of Rights on Marriage) Second Ordinance, 2019, once passed, would put a curb on the practice of talaq-e-biddat, or instant triple talaq.
- “The Bill would ensure gender equality and gender justice to Muslim women. The Bill would also help in protecting the rights of married Muslim women and prevent divorce by practice of ‘talaq-e-biddat’ by their husbands.
- The Bill declares the practice of triple talaq void and illegal, making it punishable by three years in jail and a fine. It also provides for payment of subsistence allowance to married Muslim women and dependent children.